GOLUBIE was established in 1440 by Jakub Rogala from the Masovia. It is the oldest village in the Kalinowo district. The rulers of this territory were Jacwings originating from the Baltic peoples. What survived them are legends and names of some sites, lakes and burial mounds.

from to

GOLUBIE was established in 1440 by Jukub Rogala from the Masovia. It is the oldest village in the Kalinowo district. The rulers of this territory were Jacwings originating from the Baltic peoples. What survived them are legends and names of some sites, lakes and burial mounds.

Skomertno placed five kilometers away can serve as an example, its name originates from a chieftain Skomander who fought a lost battle against Teutonic knights. Few centuries later Musurians shared Jacwings' destiny. History has similarly treated other nations, ethnicities and faiths, and all took place in this unusual melting pot of the mid-west Europe.
The Ełk lake district is also known as The Stork Realm. It still enchants with the beauty of landscape, hospitality of inhabitants and the unique cultural heritage.

One of the most prominent attractions of the region is the palace-park complex which fits well into the picturesque Golubie sights.


zespol palacowo dworski fotoIts origin dates back to the 17th century. At the time a rich German built and impressive manor on the outskirts of the village, 300-500 m away from the neighbouring buildings, forest and lake. He led an affluent life alongside his wife Karolina. It was so until the arrival of a young maid who enchanted the old landlord. As Karolina remained an obstacle the treacherous couple decided to get rid of her. They spread stories that she went mad and was sent to the mental institution. As the matter of fact they kept her as the prisoner in the manor's cellar where she soon died. Her burial site remains unknown. On getting rid of the obstacle the gloomy lovers got married. Still, the Karolina's ghost started haunting them.

In the consequence the maid herself ended up in the mental institution, as for the husband, soon afterwards, he died completely alone. Since 1818, in memory of the innocent victim, the local people had been calling the place Karolinenthal, or in other words The Karolina's Valley.


karolinenthal fotoThis name had remained in the official registers until the end of WW2 in 1945.
At the end of 19 century Graf Stielfried bought 1000 hectares of local land. On the site of the former manor he had an impressive palace built, along with inventory buildings, windmills and cottages for servants. Graf and his wife Karoline were regarded as the men of the world, they led a busy social life and were compulsive gamblers. Finally they pledged Karolinenthal and in 1928 the Graf, his wife and the only son were forced to leave the estate. The whole object was taken in the possession of state treasury. In 1930 the palace and the park with the pond was granted to the Evangelical community where it set up the church which remained there until the end of WW2.

Free premises were used for trainings, e.g. for hitlerjugend. In duration of war Gestapo also had its quarters, the cellar was barred and turned into a jail. The Graf's ex-land was divided into two households for German settlers inflowing even from the Soviet Russia territory of the Upper Volga region.
Allegedly, after the end of WW2, Soviet NKVD stationed shortly in the palace using the mentioned cellars as the prison for inconvenient people. Afterwards, buildings including 2,7 hectares of property were granted to WZGS Bialystok. Until 1977 the property was serving as a summer camp for children of "GS" – the country merchants' cooperative.

After the season was over it would be used as a training centre and hunters' retreat. When came time to renovate the palace it had been boarded up instead. Children were camping in the outdoor neighbourhood for a few years, finally it had been completely abandoned. In time, devastated by 95%, it became the property of the National Land Fund.


dwor klimira fotoIn 1988 the Mieńskowski family from Warsaw purchased the palace, the outbuilding with the surrounding park. In 1994 they moved in the restored premises and in 1995 they set up, the first at the time on Masuria, Centre for Rehabilitation and Recreation – „Lili".

In 2004 they rose from the ground stylish and very functional Kalimir's Court, it was intended as a nursing home or some other kind of nursing-treatment institution. The owners live in the still being refurbished palace and the ethnic craft cooperative is located at the very spot.

The renovation of the surroundings and communication routes is in progress.
The effect of over a dozen of struggling years are the architectural objects and the relived park with small ponds. The operating institutions revilitalize people bringing joy to them.

frogs heaven

Żabi Raj ("The Frogs' Heaven"), as it is called by patients and local inhabitants, represents a kind of a nature sanctuary. It entices with its uniqueness and mystery.

From this Polish – Lithuanian – Russian frontier any place is within the reach; Vilnius and Kaliningrad, Olsztyn and Białystok, Augustów and Ełk, Święta Lipka, the Hitler' headquarters and the nature reserve of the Biebrza river.

All around spreads the net of routes and there are plenty of attractions to see.
Masuria deserves its rediscovering.

history of frogs heaven